If a rule is good, then all schools getting taxpayer money (including those tax credit scholarship funds) should be required to follow it. If it isn’t a good rule, then why do public schools have to follow it?
Please write your state representative. And if they don’t agree with you, please consider that when you vote in August and November. Why are charters and private schools that receive taxpayer money not required to follow the same rules (including FS 1006.28 to 1006.31) as public schools? You can find those statutes at LINK
In my view Florida Citizens Alliance is the bad guy in this story. Flascience.org is the good guy.
Quote from an article found at http://www.flascience.org/?p=3280 :
And parent Eric Otto said “… Florida Citizens Alliance wants religion to balance science in a science class. To me that seems like teaching financial literacy in english class.”
Here is a quote from the Florida Citizens Alliance website (LINK)
[Under] FS 1006.31 Charlotte County residents [note it says residents and not parents] presented their concerns to the school board ……. at least fifteen of the textbooks present evolution as fact. … which violates [according to Florida Citizens Alliance] Florida law (FS 1006.31.2) that requires textbooks to be “accurate, objective, balanced, non-inflammatory”
Excerpt from Rabbi Shapiro’s article that alerted me to this issue:
The Florida Citizen’s Alliance, the FLCA, is likely to bring their efforts to a county near us! We must remain vigilant and prepared to preserve academic integrity and sound science. When they challenge textbooks being used in our neighborhoods, a hearing is required [by FS 1006.31]. You can be a hearing officer, if you wish! Just contact the school board and let them know you wish to become a hearing officer for cases of school book challenges!
How to Contact the Board Office
• District 1 – The Honorable Cheryl Grymes| firstname.lastname@example.org
• District 2 – The Honorable Scott Shine email@example.com
• District 3 – The Honorable Ashley Smith Juarez| firstname.lastname@example.org
• District 4 – The Honorable Paula D. Wright| email@example.com
• District 5 – The Honorable Warren A. Jones | firstname.lastname@example.org
• District 6 – The Honorable Becki Couch | email@example.com
• District 7 – The Honorable Lori Hershey | firstname.lastname@example.org
• District 1 – The Honorable Cheryl Grymes | 390-2371
• District 2 – The Honorable Scott Shine | 390-2386
• District 3 – The Honorable Ashley Smith Juarez | 390-2239
• District 4 – The Honorable Paula D. Wright | 390-2374
• District 5 – The Honorable Warren A. Jones | 390-2372
• District 6 – The Honorable Becki Couch | 390-2373
• District 7 – The Honorable Lori Hershey | 390-2375